MYT Summer Show Audition Schedule
by John Higgins & Tom Anderson/ed. Janet Day - Hal Leonard Corporation
THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE JRFilled with fun flappers, dashing leading men and a villain audiences will love to hate, Thoroughly Modern Millie JR. is an adaptation of the six-time-Tony-Award-winning Best Musical and the Academy Award-winning film.
Set in 1922 in New York City, it features Millie Dillmount who has just moved to the Big Apple in search of a new life. Her plan: find a job as a secretary for a wealthy man and marry him. However, her plan goes awry. Millie’s wealthy boss is slow in proposing marriage, and the man she actually falls in love with doesn't have a dime to his name — or so he tells her. What’s a small town girl to do?
Notes for actors auditioning: All students grades 6-8 are welcome to audition (this includes students entering 6th grade in the fall and up to students exiting 8th grade this June). Please come with a song to sing, a step in your shoe, and a smile on your face! Songs DO NOT have to be from the show; they just need to showcase your singing ability. Please bring sheet music for the musical director to accompany your audition. Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear for the choreography audition to follow the singing auditions. Sides will be provided at the auditions for the acting auditions following the choreography auditions. You must stay for all three parts. If you cannot stay, please reach out to the director, Bre Allard, before auditions to make alternative arrangements.
Auditions: May 11th from 1-5pm at the Midcoast Presbyterian Church in Topsham
Performances: August 8th-10th
Performances: August 8th-10th
ANYTHING GOES (1987 Version)
Billy instantly falls in love with a beautiful girl he meets in a taxi. When he discovers she’s boarding the SS American, the same London-bound ship his boss and co-worker Reno are boarding, he sneaks aboard himself. The beautiful girl, Hope, is engaged to a stuffy British aristocrat, Lord Evelyn, but that doesn’t stop the love-struck Billy. With the help of other passengers, Billy seeks to shake Reno, whose love he doesn’t return, and capture the heart of the girl of his dreams - all without hurting anyone’s feelings.
Please contact the Directors, Mary Turner Melquist and Shelley Kipp Prophett, with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a private message on Facebook.
Auditions: May 10th from 6-9pm OR May 11th from 10-1pm at the Midcoast Presbyterian Church, Topsham
Performances: July 25th-27th
Rehearsals will be held at Mid-Coast Presbyterian Church at 84 Main Street in Topsham. Rehearsals will be held Monday through Friday from 6-9pm at Mid-Coast Presbyterian Church in Maine. The rehearsal schedule will allow for flexibility with work/vacation schedules, and not every character will be called each night.
Notes for auditions:
For your audition prepare a one minute selection from a song.
- Please bring to your audition the sheet music for your song, in the original key, and with start and end points marked. Do not choose a song that needs to be transposed in order for you to sound good. If you can’t sing the song as written, it’s not a good song for you to sing. You can also check with Courtney Babbidge to see if he knows the song you would like to sing.
- Your song should show off your vocal range and show off your singing and acting skills. You should also consider a song that shows off your ability to sing in the style of Anything Goes or sells you as a character from the show. You do not have to sing a song from the show, but if you are auditioning for a lead you may be asked to sing a character song so please be prepared
- On the audition form, there is an opportunity for you to select which roles you will accept. If you check off “ensemble” as a role you would accept, then you WILL be cast in the show (in either an ensemble, principal, featured or supporting role). However, those who indicate a preference for specific principal or featured roles only, you will not be penalized during the casting process, but we would like to know if you will only accept and be happy with certain roles, as we want this to be a great experience for everyone involved.
- There is a lot of dance/movement in Anything Goes and everyone will be required to do a movement audition, this will be done in groups, so please wear something appropriate. Specialist dancers, including Tap will be required for several numbers, including cast who are part of the ensemble.
- If you are auditioning for a Principal or Featured role you will be required to read small parts from the script.